PDA

View Full Version : Files available to customers with their own lasers?

PLExpressions
03-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi! I have been offering PGD products in my store for a couple of years now, and I buy both ready-made items and blanks and laser them myself on my Epilog laser. What I really need and desire is having the design templates and engraving files available to me, too! I'm sure my customers would go ga-ga over the designs and make my sales increase. However, these files are only available to your customers who also purchase your lasers. Is this something that can be done for the rest of us?

Thank you for your consideration.

Jamie

Franklin
03-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Jamie,

Currently all of our file development, templates, alignment testing, and customer lasering is being done with Gravostyle software (proprietary software from the laser mfg).

There are fairly limited options to export into standard formats from this software, and it is quite time intensive to get everything to export correctly.
When exported, the files would be generic EPS format, which would not correspond to any particular point on the laser bed, so there would be no way to align files of that type to the laser. This would make our jigs relatively useless, unless the laser operator would take the time to align and resave each file for their specific machine.

This operation would have to be repeated every time that we changed or updated any of our files.

It may be possible to export a few designs for you to run on our product, but I don't think we have the demand to continually export the full line of designs.

Regards,
Franklin