PDA

View Full Version : Jig for multiple items

Bill
10-28-2011, 09:36 AM
I have a church that wants several 50-100 pens. I have a lot of cardboard. What is the best way to make a jig so I can do several pens at once. I know I can copy the the one outline, but how would I make the jig so the pens sit properly. Thank you.

Franklin
10-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Rather than using the pen outline, it would be better to use the same shape that is cut in the pen jig.
I don't think that shape is part of the laser file, but if you tell me what SKU you are working on, I can provide that.

Bill
10-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks Franklin: We are ordering ZMCA30. I will need to laser about 100 for this customer. I was thinking of making a mat of cardboard for the jig. I know we talked about it, but I may need more direction. This will be my 1st attempt at doing this.

Franklin
10-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Attached is a jig file, (save to your computer, then File, Import) this will allow you to laser 11 pens at once.
The pens are all spaced 1" apart, so you should be able to create your layout, and then just duplicate down by 1" several times to get a file that matches this jig.

Check it out, if you have further questions just let me know.

Bill
11-04-2011, 06:22 PM
If I use the layout on Layer 2, can I use layer 1 to put the engraving on so I can engrave the pens? Do the colors on layer 2 have to be changed so it does not have a effect on what is on layer 1? I thought I could use the jig to line up the engraving for layer 1. Am I on the right track?

Bill
11-05-2011, 06:02 PM
PS. My last message did not get sent to you, but I tried a sample from the message I sent above and it worked. Any other suggestions or advise. I found I can do a find and replace to put other names on the same pen type. Do you think I can use this same multi pen jig for the other metal pens on the same page of the catelog? Thank for your help.

Franklin
11-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Sounds like you pretty well have it figured out now.
Layer 2 does not have any effect on the lasering - it's just a visual reference for you.
I would simply duplicate the text down by 1" by clicking, dragging, and pressing F2 to enter 1.00" exactly.

I'm not sure if this jig would work for other metal pens or not, you'd probably just have to try one to see if it fits well enough - we generally would not recommend using a product in the incorrect jig, but it may work in this case.

Bill
11-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks for your help. I completed the project, 100 pens, and they all turned out good with no mistakes. Feel I can do others now.